At the recommendation of our ND, we’ve been slow to introduce any solid foods which commonly cause allergies. We also haven’t given him anything with sugar or sweeteners in it just yet. I decided not to make an exception for his birthday, so I needed to find a cake recipe that was dairy free, wheat free, egg free, nut free, and not just sugar free but also sweetener free.
Allergy Free Birthday Cake Recipe
Makes 3 dozen mini cupcakes.
2/3 cup olive oil (butter can be substituted if dairy is permitted)
4 ripe bananas
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 1/2 cups oat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
dash of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in cinnamon and oil.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Then stir them into the wet ingredients.
4. If needed add up to 2/3 cup of water to reach a batter consistency.
5. Pour batter into greased muffin tins.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
Allergy Free Frosting Recipe
2 sweet potatoes
2 Tablespoons olive oil (butter can be substituted if dairy is permitted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Bake or microwave sweet potato until tender.
2. Blend all ingredients until smooth with a mixer or blender
3. Put ingredients into a plastic bag and cut out the corner to pipe onto the mini cupcakes.
One mini cupcake with frosting has 86 calories, 5.1 grams fat, 9.2 grams carbohydrates, and 1.3 grams protein.