Today is the day! I’m sharing the exciting and very fast natural homebirth of our second baby!

Fast Natural Homebirth Story of my Second Baby

5:30 ish am: We got our usual early morning wake up call from E, my favorite little alarm clock. After Daddy helped him potty, he climbed into the big bed to “see Mama” and have some milkies. I was 5 days past my due date. I wasn’t sleeping too well, but I felt more and more energetic and healthy as the days went by.

6:02 am: Hubby’s real alarm went off and we all made our way out of bed to start our Monday morning. S got dressed for work and was making breakfast when I came out of the bathroom. “I don’t think you’re going to work. I think we’re going to have a baby tonight or tomorrow” I told him. I tried to act cool, but I couldn’t keep the excitement out of my voice. I had started losing my mucus plug and had bloody show.

From start to finish this very fast natural homebirth story of a second baby will leave you breathless and in awe of how our bodies were created to birth.
E helping out at my last prenatal appointment.
7:20 am: I texted my mom and sister to tell them the news. I also posted an update to some friends on facebook while eating breakfast. S took E to the hardware store to get the adaptor to connect the hose for the birth tub to our sink faucet and to the grocery store for eggs. I headed back to bed to try and get some rest before what would likely be a long night. For the remaining part of the morning I cleaned the bathroom, did laundry, and tried to get all the last remaining items crossed off my checklist. S worked from home for a few hours. E and I ate leftovers for lunch as he finished up work.

12:15 pm: I started timing contractions, ranging from 6 to 10 minutes apart. The neighbor girls were over playing with E. S was making peach pie with the peaches we had gotten from a local farm the day before.

12:45 pm: I decided to sneak away for a quick shower while E was occupied and S finished up dishes. I wanted to start out what could be a long night of labor fresh. Our neighbor came to get the girls sometime while I was in the shower.

1:07 pm: I called our midwife to give her the “heads up” call. “I think we’re going to have a baby sometime tonight or tomorrow,” I told her cheerfully. After I told her my symptoms, we agreed that I would call back when we were ready for her to come. She reminded me to call in time so she could set me up with the antibiotics I planned to use since I was GBS positive. I also texted my mom that we might want them to pick up E soon. Almost as soon as I got off the phone, things started getting more serious. I drank three glasses of hot red raspberry leaf tea to help soothe the crampy contractions.

1:40 pm: I called mom to tell her I did want them go come get E. S and I both recognized there was pretty much no way I was going to be able to lie down and nurse E to sleep. My dad was all the way over at Costco, so she’d have to wait for him to come home and then they’d head our way. I assumed that meant she’d call him and tell him to head straight home, but I didn’t communicate the urgency very well. While doubled over the counter during a contraction I told S, “I need you to finish with the pie as soon as possible,” I was happy to hear that he was almost done.

2:01 pm My sister texted and asks if she should head over as I planned to have her there for the birth. I replied that she should wait because it would probably still be a while. Now, I don’t know about you, but when I think of a woman in focused active labor, I don’t imagine them casually texting between contractions, so I figured I was still in early labor. I ate a snack of yogurt and berries, preparing for the long night of labor ahead.

2:07 pm: I started timing contractions again. They were 3 minutes apart. I started retreating to the bathroom to labor on the toilet during contractions. S tried to wrangle E while setting up the birth tub. Every few contractions, I’d hobble back out to the kitchen with some new instruction that needed to be done. I was so sad when S informed me that there was hole in the inflatable birth tub that needed to be patched, and that it needed 24 hours to cure before using. I came back out after the next several contractions to the news that he had called the lady we rented it from and she thought it’d be just fine to use that day. Great!

2:25 pm: Where were my parents?! I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to make any real progress until E was safe and happy with Nana and Papa. S called my dad to make sure he was on his way.

2:28 pm: Contractions were 2 minutes apart.

2:30 pm: I came out of the bathroom between contractions and told S that if contractions stayed this close together for another 15 minutes, I was calling the midwife even though it hadn’t yet been an hour. (I was waiting for the 4-1-1: Contractions 4 minutes apart, one minute long, consistently for one hour)

I asked how much longer until the birth tub would be ready. I NEEDED that tub! S told me that it was filling, but slowly. I planned to get in the shower for relief instead. To help me cope with contractions, I visualized myself holding my new baby. That would always make me smile even at the peak of a contraction.

2:35 pm: I stopped timing contractions.

At some point, I came back out and told S to call the midwife and tell her to come. All thoughts of a shower or the birth tub were long gone from my mind. I realized I was sweating. Isn’t that a sign of transition? I ask myself. That was the first moment when I admitted to myself that this might be active labor.

2:50 pm: S called our midwife from my phone. My body started pushing towards the end of a couple of contractions, and I felt like I needed to poop. Why is that happening? Maybe I really do need to poop, my body just emptying as is common during labor. It couldn’t actually be time to push.

3:00 pm: During one contraction on the toilet, my body started to do a little more pushing and POP! my water broke. It mostly got in the toilet, but also splattered the bath mat and washer in front of me. I looked up at the clock straight above my head and noted the time. I knew the midwife would want to know this bit of information later. I also noted that the liquid was clear. Good. After that my body started pushing more and more with each contraction. It was completely out of my control.

From start to finish this very fast natural homebirth story of a second baby will leave you breathless and in awe of how our bodies were created to birth.
Berry picking 4 days before my due date.

I realized that I finally knew what the “urge to push” felt like. Although the term “urge” was a complete and total understatement in this case. S came in to check on me and I informed him that I was pushing just as I realized it for myself.

I felt the baby start to descend, and I leaped off the toilet, startled. One part of me was totally primal and out of control, the other part was clear-thinking and saying that it wasn’t a good idea to have a baby on the toilet.
He helped me onto the floor and I went down on my hands and knees. My dad wasn’t there yet, so S finally had to strap E into his booster seat at the table. He would run between the hallway, trying to put on a happy face for E and tell him everything was ok, and the bathroom to check on me. From my spot on the bathroom floor, I could hear E crying. I knew that my screams were scaring him but that we were both ok. Later he told Nana “Mama crying” and “Baby come out”.

3:09 S called the midwife back. As she noted later, he sounded so calm as he asked her how much longer she would be. She told him to try and get me to the bed or at least to lower my chest to help slow things down.

I completely refused to leave the bathroom. The idea of crawling or walking to another room while having a human about to emerge from my body seemed completely insane and impossible. At first I thought maybe I could at least turn around so that my bottom was facing the door rather than the toilet and bathtub. Then another contraction took over. “Is the head halfway out?” I asked S as he headed back towards E. “No, I can only see the scalp.” Good…

Since the length of this post has gotten way out of control, I’ll leave you in suspense for now. Check back for the dramatic conclusion tomorrow! Click over to read Part 2!

Natural Birth Stories book
Free Download: How to Save $100 on Groceries in Under a Minute .
Instant Access
Grocery Savings Guide